oneslime.net Forum Index oneslime.net
Slime talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New version!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is it worth having two player mode in One Slime?
Yes, definitely
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
Maybe
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
No.
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

wedgey
Site Admin

Location: three quarters of a mile from the surface of the sun

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: New version! Reply with quote

Hey everyone

After how many years, I got around to double buffering One Slime. If you don't know what that means, you'll just notice that the game is less flickery. For the Java programmers out there, I didn't do it before because its far too slow to do full double buffering (redrawing the entire applet in each frame) and using PixelGrabbers to only redraw the parts of the screen that need to be updated was far too slow (just as bad as redrawing the entire screen, if not worse Confused) But I found out the other day that BufferedImage has a nice getSubimage() method which is fast so I've used that in the game.

Some people with older computers may need to download a new Java Runtime Environment (version 1.2 or later, so not very new at all Razz) to play the new version of the game, sorry, but it was required.

There's also a two player mode in the game now as well, but it's first-to-six-points scoring rather than the scoring method used in the original game.

Any suggestions? Post them in this thread! You don't need to register to post on this topic.

Enjoy!
wedgey.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU POS BRING BACK THE OLD VERSION.
this works like faecal excretion now. seriously before it wasnt flickering now it is. just as a heads up for anyone with older computers, your game wont work good now. ive got v1.2 as suggested and it plays like crap. good idea. bad results.
wedgey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you serious? Sad

Well the old version is still available at http://oneslime.net/one/classic.html (the link was hidden in the fine print under the applet).

Just for interest's sake - how old is your computer?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i appreciate the effort you put into keeping your game updated but the new version seems to run a tad slower than the old. Niether have flickering problems for me
I Love This Game

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Well, I have to disagree with the previous responders, I much prefer the updated version.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but it seems like some gameplay aspects are different in addition to the flicker. For instance, I always used to have trouble with the "throwing" move, but now I can do it consistently. It also seems like the shape of the slimes is slightly different. The eyes appear to stick out more.
wedgey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put a more visible link on the main page to the old version for those people experiencing a slower One Slime Sad I'm glad that you've said something though, it's much appreciated.

I'm not sure what happened with the throwing - it has happened to me a few times too (in particular, the AI did it a few times which I've never seen before). I didn't set out to change the physics of the game, so maybe I've accidentally made throwing easier...

Also I didn't set out to change the shapes of the slimes - the drawing code is the same except it draws to an offscreen buffer rather than directly to the screen. One weird bug in Java is that when you draw circles/ellipses offscreen, it doesn't make them round! (see http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4151279) I had problems with the scoring dots looking like octagons instead of circles Razz So maybe the eyes are being drawn as octagons instead of circles, which makes them pop out a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have also noticed that the first and second slime seem to have changed their ai a tad. Where normally smile one would stay in the middle of the court for an easy slam, it now stays closer to the net, and slime two now stays further back than it had previously.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I wouldn't have done anything for someone calling me a piece of faecal excretion.

But I do enjoy the new version. Works fine!
alexis
Pathetic White Slime

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great! It looks much better on my computer, and the game is still fast too.
wedgey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
i have also noticed that the first and second slime seem to have changed their ai a tad. Where normally smile one would stay in the middle of the court for an easy slam, it now stays closer to the net, and slime two now stays further back than it had previously.

Ahh... someone noticed, well done Smile Actually they've been swapped around (white slime is now red and vice versa) as per many requests/demands.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wedgey wrote:
Are you serious? Sad

Well the old version is still available at http://oneslime.net/one/classic.html (the link was hidden in the fine print under the applet).

Just for interest's sake - how old is your computer?

thanks for the link to the old version.
the computers i play on arent mine. theyre school computers lol
theyve got pIII 1000mhz cpuz with 256mb of ram(updated from 128 this year) they also upgraded to windows 2000 this year. lol im sure on newer pcs it runs good but its a flash game, it shouldnt really be stressing out a computer even of this age.
wedgey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

thanks for the link to the old version.
the computers i play on arent mine. theyre school computers lol
theyve got pIII 1000mhz cpuz with 256mb of ram(updated from 128 this year) they also upgraded to windows 2000 this year. lol im sure on newer pcs it runs good but its a flash game, it shouldnt really be stressing out a computer even of this age.

Yeah that's quite strange. It could be to do with the drawing code, it's doing a lot of stuff in memory before drawing to the screen, maybe that's slowing it down. There's probably a way to speed it up again, I'll think about it.

Nothing wrong at all with Windows 2000, I still use it, though I didn't just upgrade to it heh. I wouldn't want to run it with any less ram though!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yar thats kinda what i was saying, older pc with new os that doesnt meet min requirements lol
Darken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: grrrrrrrrr Reply with quote

hmmmmmm....id personally say the old style is better....i like the speed of the ball. in the new version the ball moves too slooooooooooow. its jus rite in the old skool way. Laughing
b-randon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: why i play the old versoin of slimeball Reply with quote

there aint nothin better then an original...like movies all the good ones are the first ones. all the sequals and prequals either suck or not as good as the original

brandon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    oneslime.net Forum Index -> Slime Volleyball All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: