oneslime.net Forum Index oneslime.net
Slime talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fix Game Speed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GetOutOfBox
Inferior Human Controlled Slime

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Fix Game Speed Reply with quote

I've noticed that the speed at which objects like the slime, ball, etc is dependent on the performance of the computer. For example, on an el cheapo high school computer, its at a decent speed, playable, yet still challenging, but when progressively faster computers are used, the speed increases noticeably to the point the game is nearly impossible.

I'm guessing this problem can be fixed simply by capping the framerate in the code, I would recommend around 25 FPS, though that may be a little too low. I cant say exactly how this can be implemented in Java, but its fairly easy in my experience when using SDL or Allegro in C++, so it shouldn't be more than a 10-15 minute fix.
wedgey
Site Admin

Location: three quarters of a mile from the surface of the sun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I salute you!

Cheers for the comment. The speed you can play at is probably close to the speed the game was designed for - it's supposed to run at 50fps but due to a variety of different Java implementations, it is often significantly lower than that - check this out:
http://oneslime.net/wiki/Talk:Speed_issues

Of course in hindsight we should have used time-based acceleration/velocity models instead of frame based models, and telling the game thread to sleep for a while. But it seemed to run at full speed in 2000 so it's rather odd that it has got slower over the years.

Cheers
Wedgey.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    oneslime.net Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: